COPYRIGHT All content and photographs are property of Linda Dresselhaus. 2009-2016. Powered by Blogger.

Thrift The Look...Vintage Lakehouse

Do you ever look at magazines and just love a certain room or vignette photograph?  I get inspired like that all the time! 
This week I'm joining a group of fellow bloggers for the 
Thrift The Look blog hop where we recreate a magazine photo!


Thrift The Look- Recreating a Magazine Photo


Thrift the Look Vintage Lakehouse

This project was so much fun!  

We had a choice of two photos from a Country Living Magazine article.





We each did our version of one, or bits of both photos, in our homes using as many thrift store finds as possible and being inventive to make it fit our lifestyles. 

I chose photo number one, as most of my walls are light.  I wanted to get the planked wood wall background, so I used a roll of printed paper I bought at Hobby Lobby several years ago.  It's inexpensive and is great for backgrounds.

Here's how my version turned out!  

I used a white dresser as the base.  My ceilings are low, so my wall isn't as spread out as the original space.  You just work with what you have and adapt to the situation. And I think I achieved the look, even though I made substitutions.

Thrift The Look- Recreating a Magazine Photo

 I was given the Minnesota towel as a birthday gift a few months ago...
and as we live in a Minnesota lakehouse, I thought it would be perfect!

Thrift The Look- Recreating a Magazine Photo

For the books, I used three I had found thrifting.  I wasn't able to find a similar lamp, so I stacked two thrifted wood pieces, to give height and the wood texture.

Thrift The Look- Recreating a Magazine Photo

I didn't have the metal crab, so I used an old metal fishing reel.


The green vase was a 25 cent thrift store find, and I cut the ferns from our yard. 
All the radios I found were more than I wanted to spend, so I used a thrifted box project I had done in the past. It is a similar size and compliments the arrangement. I used a jar lid for the white frame and applied a free boat image.




The inspiration photo had a white wall shelf...I used a small white bench I found thrifting.  A thrifted clock, and my husband's grandmother's shell box topped it, and I added a thrifted wood box in front of it.


An integral part of the inspiration photo was a brass porthole. 
 I didn't find one of those, so decided to make my own!  I used a thrifted 
black clock and painted it to look like tarnished brass. 
I painted an quick impressionistic water scene to place over the glass.






 The little wood ship's wheel was something I had trouble finding as well...so I made that, too.  I used a thrifted wood cheese tray (you know, the kind with a glass top).  I stained a dowel to match and cut sections which I put into holes drilled on 
the rim. The photo was found free on Pinterest...just type in "sailing boat images".


And I hung a little thrifted landscape, too.



And finally, I added a little stack of miniature books to add the green color.


When you add your own touches to your inspiration, you get the look and make it your own!  Don't be afraid to change it up a little!  And it helps to carry a list or photo of the things you are looking for when you are thrifting!

What do you think?  Fun, isn't it?


Original


My version...

                             
I can't wait to do this again! 

Now please go see how the rest of the team, thrifted the look!

Thrift the Look Vintage Lakehouse

 
   

 We are all part of the Creative Vintage Darlings Facebook group and would love to have you join us there...it's a fun group! 

Until next time...

30 comments

  1. OMG Linda, I want to come craft with you !!!! I have always loved your make-overs and re-do's. The little ideas you came up with to do this vignette from the magazine, are clever beyond imagination. I think your layout resembles the one from the magazine so very well. I love it and I am very impressed. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww...Susie, you are so sweet! We'd have so much fun crafting together! You've made my day!

      Delete
  2. Oh fun! I think I like your version better. The warmer look of the wood look paper really sets your items off! I do this all the time at the holidays - there are so many inspiring photos out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO GOOD! Oh my gosh, your porthole and captain's wheel hacks are outstanding- bravo. It really looks fantastic all put together- and the stacked wood pieces to replicate the lamp? Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! It was so fun working on this...can't wait to do it again!

      Delete
  4. You did such a great job with this challenge! I am super impressed with your crafted versions of items from the inspiration photo. You are so creative! Your vignette is so pretty and perfect since you live in a lake house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out soooo good! I like it better than the inspiration photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I mean all the items you made and they look great! I love your take on this photo and just...WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, the idea for the party and what you did! It looks fantastic! The ship wheel is genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky! I always see ship wheel pieces at the thrift, but not when I needed one lol!

      Delete
  8. I love what you did Linda! The porthole is fantastic - that was not an easy thing to find, and your DIY is awesome. I actually saw an authentic one on our local USED site, but for $250, that was not happening. Gasp. And great idea on the plank wall - it looks so real! I think my favourite lake house decor touch are your little green books - they're are amazing. Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The little green books were a gift from my aunt many years ago!
      A real porthole (at a good price!) would be an awesome find!

      Delete
  9. Whoa lady. WHOA! Seriously with that wheel and porthole!?!? They are stunning and I love how you stacked those wood pieces for the lamp stand in. It’s perfectly done. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind, Heather...thank you! It really was such a fun project!

      Delete
  10. Holy smokes, I've already told you how much I love your porthole and now that I know how you made it, I LOVE it even more!!! So clever! I can't help but "shop" your scene too and now I covet a yellow book with navy plaid and those miniature green books - WANT! It's all so lovely Linda, I love how you've Thrifted the Look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Laurie! How nice! I can't wait to do this again!
      Thank you again for all you did!

      Delete
  11. Oh my goodness. You are so creative! I love how you made your own porthole and ships wheel. They're perfect for recreating the inspiration photo! And your backdrop is just right. Love the shell box too. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Angie! It was fun creating pieces for the project!

      Delete
  12. You are incredible with being able to re-create a look! You did a fantastic job. Definitely magazine worthy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet, Melanie! Thank you! We had great inspiration photos!

      Delete
  13. You rocked this challenge, Linda! That ships wheel is sheer genius! And you are such a master stylist! I like your version better than the original! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw...thank you, Lora! You are always so supportive and kind!

      Delete
  14. Adorable, Linda! You have such a great eye for design!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and always enjoy reading your comments!