COPYRIGHT All content and photographs are property of Linda Dresselhaus. 2009-2016. Powered by Blogger.

Thrift Store Primitive Dollhouse Makeover

This week I worked on a project I have wanted to do for quite awhile...re-doing an old wood dollhouse!  I am joining a fun blog hop with my friends over at the Creative Vintage Darlings Facebook Group, where I am one of the administrators. We are all  sharing projects making-over or re-using vintage thrift store finds!
I'll share their links at the end of this post!

Thrift Store Vintage Dollhouse Makeover-Itsy Bits And Pieces

I purchased this dollhouse about 5 years ago at a thrift store. 

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

It is a toy for my grandchildren.  It has been home to Breyer Horses and My Little Ponies, Star Wars figures and Barbies, and Disney and Sesame Street characters.  Imagination happens here!

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

It is primitive...made of exterior plywood with a brown painted roof, 
and the rest of the piece was stained with a woodburned 
technique that gave it a rough cabin kind of look.

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

It is very dark and shadowed inside, 
and I have always wanted to brighten it up with a new look.

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

I started by painting the roof green.

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces


I used a satin acrylic paint (this one is from Michaels) 
and a foam brush...it took two coats.

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

I painted the rest of the house with latex stain blocking primer, followed by a coat of white eggshell paint that I had leftover from house projects. I used a good angled brush for the finish coat to get a nice look.  Much brighter!

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

Finally, leftover wooden paint stir sticks were cut for front door 
and window shutters, and painted green.

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

I then glued them on with wood glue.
(It's easier to paint them before you glue them on!)

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

It now looks like a big country farmhouse...and a piece of art in the playroom! 
And it reminds me of the dollhouse my father built when I was a child.

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

I know the kids will have fun with it! 

Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

Please pin me!
Dollhouse Makeover- Rustic to Farmhouse- Itsy Bits And Pieces

If you love vintage, you will love our Creative Vintage Darlings Facebook Group! There are lots of opportunities to share what you love and collect!  
I hope you will stop by and join us!
We also have an instagram hashtag #CreativeVintage Darlings
 and a Creative Vintage Darlings Pinterest page!


Creative Vintage Darlings fb group



Please check out the Creative Vintage Darling's team and see 
the very inspiring ways they use their vintage goodies! 
Just click on the blog name link to visit!

CVD Blog Hop- Vintage Thrift Store Makeovers
   


Until next time...

25 comments

  1. This is so much better in it's brighter state, Linda! We've done 2 dollhouse refreshes over the years for my neices, and I'm sad there won't be a reason again till I have grandkids:( The stir stick idea is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! What a sweet little dollhouse. You brought it from dark and drab to bright and pretty. I can see a new obsession with miniatures coming up. lol xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, You have good memories affixed to your little doll house. I love it. Your grandkids will remember it too. Blessings, xoxo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet doll house! I remember mine, it was tin, but I remember playing with that for hours and hours! I bet your Grands will love the farmhouse upgrade (SO MUCH BRIGHTER) and will have hours and hours of fun and imagination! Thank you so very much for joining us in our first CVD blog hop! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your idea of using stir sticks as shutters! You gave it a great face lift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You made this dollhouse look amazing! I love the colors you chose and the addition of the shutters. Your grandchildren will spend many happy hours playing with this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute and the makeover makes it bright and charming. I too love the shutters!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The paint stick shutters!!! GENIUS!! Oh my gosh, I loved my dollhouse growing up. This made me feel so nostalgic! I love it!
    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  9. HI Linda,
    I'm a doll house addict so had to click on this post. I just can't walk past a forgotten dollhouse in a thrift store without wanting to take it home. As a result, I currently have three dollhouses. They really are fun to work on . . .and the remodeling and decorating is a bit less expensive than in real life! I love what you've done so far, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your doll house turned out beautifully. The green and white just pop and adding the shutters just makes it complete.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new look Linda--good choices on the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda,
    This is such a sweet re love of this doll house. How cute. Love the green and white and those shutters are adorable. Great job.
    xoxo
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun project! It does look like a farmhouse now. Love it!
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great fresh start, I'm sure they will have oodles of fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute dollhouse - I can see why the grandkids would have fun playing with this. Your makeover is fabulous - really brightened up this wooden house. Just joined your FB group!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The dollhouse looks like a completely different one. Love the makeover.

    xo Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG this is awesome! I love all the tiny details!

    ReplyDelete
  18. perfect farmhouse colors. so cute all "dolled" up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a charming make-over, Linda! I love the paint stick shutters. It gives us perspective of how really big the dollhouse is! What child wouldn't love playing with it. I'll check out the rest of the creativity - thanks for sharing! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  20. I got my first wooden dollhouse when my 36 year old daughter was an infant; it's still not done. As much as I love vintage, dollhouse minis are my favorite addiction and I make a lot of accessories (I'm not skilled enough to make exacting furntiture) especially using scrapcraft. My kids were not allowed to throw away toothpaste caps--they make lampshades, wastebaskets, and plant pots. A turned spindle with a wooden nickel on top with a vintage crocheted doily is just begging for the tea party to begin! Hope your grands love the great improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How wonderful it looks now. I'm sure your grandkids have so much fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this primitive house, Linda! It's amazing what a few coats of paint can do. I'm sure it will provide many hours of entertainment for you and the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun project. It would make a great focal point.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and always enjoy reading your comments!