COPYRIGHT All content and photographs are property of Linda Dresselhaus. 2009-2016. Powered by Blogger.

Trying Something New...A Simple Halloween Project...

If you have been reading this blog for awhile, you know I participate in DecoArt's Blogger Outreach Program.  I enjoy trying their products and using them for my projects!  Recently, they sent me one of their newest products...Easy Etch.  I have never used an etching product before and was excited to try it!  This permanently etches glass, mirrors, and glazed surfaces.  I had a very simple project in mind for Halloween, and started with this big old jar...


You can mask off patterning areas with tape or use an adhesive back stencil.  DecoArt has them, as well as other companies.  I used an adhesive back, made-for-glass stencil of a skull.  I cleaned the glass well...wipe the area with alcohol.  Then I applied 
the stencil and masked off the edges with tape 
to protect the glass you don't want etched...


The Easy Etch does not use hydrofluoric acid, which is found in most other etching products, and is very low odor.  However, you do need to protect your skin, so it shouldn't be used by children.  It is made in the USA and comes in 2 oz and 4 oz bottles.


I used gloves to protect my skin, and spread a thick coat of the cream over the stencil.  You can use a palette knife...I just used a wooden stick (tongue depressor).  The Easy Etch is thick, yet creamy...and easy to spread.


I let it sit for 15 minutes, and then scraped the cream off and put it back into the container...yes, it is REUSABLE...so it reduces waste!   Then, I rinsed the glass jar with water in our fiberglass laundry tub.  You should use a fiberglass or stainless steel tub...you don't want it etching your glazed or natural stone sinks.  After rinsing, I removed the tape and stencil and rinsed with water again. 



Like magic, I have this fun skull etched on to the jar!  Easy Etch gives a frosted, white, matte surface that won't fade, chip, or discolor. It is permanent, dishwasher safe or it can be cleaned with any household glass cleaner, and is for indoor and outdoor use.  
It's not for use on plastic, color coated glass, 
some Pyrex, or high-lead content glass.


I had never done a project like this before...and it was so fun and easy.  DecoArt had a hint to use a fine-tip writer bottle to add intricate details and elements to projects...I can't wait to try making some more things!  You can check out the Easy Etch information page for lots of project ideas and user info.


DecoArt provided me with product to review...
all opinions and the fun were mine! Thank you DecoArt!

I am joining~


Until next time...



24 comments

  1. What a fun product! Happy spoooooky decorating!

    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deco Art makes some great products, and this is one as it gives consistent results. While it doesn't have the hydroflouric acid, it is still very caustic, and absolutely should not be used for chidren's projects. It's for spoooky adult decorating and NOT for KIDS. Thanks for the easy directions and fun post, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandi! I updated the post to add that! And I was sure to use gloves!

      Delete
  3. Well, how cute with the candle in it!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda this is super cute and love the candle in there.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey that's pretty cool! Great idea for a Halloween candle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an adorably spooky project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun product, and it looks easy enough. Thanks for sharing the product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool product!!! Thank you for testing it for us and giving us step by step instructions on how to use it!!! I will definitely give it a try...think Christmas projects!!!! Pinned

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing, Linda, and I love how you showed the details. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun project, Linda! I didn't know that DecoArt had the etching cream. I love that you can reuse it, and that it doesn't contain acid. I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are so many possibilities for that product , especially for us crafters who love to make seasonal items. your spooky skull candle-jar turned out very nice. This also brings to mind many ways to decorate jars as gift containers for Christmas. ( not using a skull stencil . :) )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like such a fun project Linda!
    Smiles, alice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow...Wow...I love it. I've used it before, but not for a long time. I've always thought about using it on something like a glass door, but since it is permanent, it scares me a little....Time to give it another try!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've always wanted to try etching glass but have been afraid of the chemicals. I love that this product is safe. Your jar is perfect for Halloween and looks great with the candle! Thanks for sharing this :) Karen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Karen! You still need to be careful with it...I wore gloves and long sleeves. But it is thick, so it doesn't splash around.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a fun product, Linda. I etched something years and years ago but the stuff was really runny and a mess to work with. This sounds like a good product! Love the project you chose. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a cute project~thanks for stopping by my blog and sharing your love for hands too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun and creative project, and a great idea to add the tea light to make it glow. I haven't tried an etching product in such a long time. I remember washing the stuff down the drain, yikes! Thanks, Linda, for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Linda, this looks like a lot of fun! I want to run out and get some. Thanks for showing us!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your etched jar is so darn cute, Linda! I used a vintage jar like that as my cookie jar when the girls were little and they hated that I could hear the lid when they were sneaking cookies. I think the skull would have been a good deterrent! Just think what you could do with that etching solution!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have used etching creams before, and we also sand blast, but this looks like a great alternative, and the skull glowing is pretty darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What fun! such a great result .... I love how this turned out :)

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and always enjoy reading your comments!