COPYRIGHT All content and photographs are property of Linda Dresselhaus. 2009-2016. Powered by Blogger.

A Dresser Makeover for Fall...

I just completed a fun dresser makeover out in our sunporch!  I've had this old dresser for several years, always intending to paint it...


I love the lines and detail...but the finish was in rough shape...



This fall I am loving golden tones and have been bringing them into our home.  This dresser was a prime candidate for a spot of color!  I decided to use DecoArt Americana Chalky Finish 
in the Heritage color...


I did two light coats of paint...it's a bright color, and I wanted some of the reddish stain underneath to come through.  
I was lucky to get some natural crackling, too...


I watered down some of DecoArt Americana acrylic paint in the Chocolate Brown color and used it to accent shadows, etc.  I painted it on and quickly wiped off...


After distressing with a sanding block in spots, I finished it with DecoArt Americana Light Satin Varnish...one coat to the body and a second coat to the top for extra durability.

I painted over the round knobs, wiped off, and lightly 
sanded over the metal for a worn look.


I left the anchor pulls in their natural state...


I loved how it turned out!  We are going to use it for our television...but I couldn't resist playing with some fall decor...




I am a blogger for DecoArt and received product used for this project (thank you!)...all opinions are my own.

I am joining~


Until next time...


31 comments

  1. Absolutely love the color and how this piece turned out. So perfect for fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it too! Thank-you as always for the inspiration you share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were the one to turn me on to Deco Art paints, so I'm glad to hear you are one of their reps-smart move on their part!!!! Great piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice job! I don't paint wood but love it when others do and it turns out as great as this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice! Looks like a totally new dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a perfect fall color. I have a couple of pieces that need paint...one of these days!
    keep cool,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty and perfect for Fall too. I just finished using that paint (in a grey) on our kitchen mirror.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda,
    This is awesome. I love the color. Great job.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful transformation! Love that warm color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks so beautiful, and so does your whole autumn vignette on top!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the color and the hardware !!! The crackles look cool. Really nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! Now is a perfect time for the color too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a gorgeous color! I love the nautical hardware on that piece too. It was probably pretty trendy back in the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  14. that turned out so pretty! I love the color for Fall too. It's amazing what paint can do. I guess that's why I have so much painted furniture myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really great results Linda! I love that color and the effects you used. Drawer pulls are so unique😍 ann

    ReplyDelete
  16. New follower from GFC. Beautiful blog and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great project, Linda! You're right, the dresser does have some great lines and details. I love those anchor pulls!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Linda, it turned out great. Those anchor pulls are so cute! I need something like that at our beach house.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great transformation!!! Beautiful job and great color choice Linda!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. seeing your dresser in this color reminds me of an old dry sink that I found once in it's original paint, sort of the same color, maybe a little more mustard yellow, I loved it, and it lasted about 5 minutes in my antique booth. It's really gorgeous, you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how this turned out, Linda! The color is perfect for fall and I love the nautical hardware. Thanks for sharing the technique, too. Love the pretty vignette on top. x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like that color! I didn't give it a second look at Michaels and went for another color instead but after seeing your pretty dresser, I'll be picking up a jar next time. Love the nautical hardware on it too.
    Marie@The Interior Frugalista

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice save, Linda, and I love the color. This makes me want to paint every piece of furniture in my house!!! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Inspiration Party.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love the color you chose!! What a major transformation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love that color! It's totally fall!

    Happy, happy day to you friend!
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  26. Linda,
    Thank you for sharing this great looking makeover at my party this week...GREAT COLOR!!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  27. Of course anything in autumn colors appeals to me, but you did an exceptional job transforming that dresser and staging it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Definitely an up-do on an oldie but a goodie.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and always enjoy reading your comments!