COPYRIGHT All content and photographs are property of Linda Dresselhaus. 2009-2016. Powered by Blogger.

A Fun Sign Project and Tutorial...

If you've been following my blog for awhile, you know I enjoy sign making!  I've been wanting to make a big white and black sign for the entrance to the dining room 
from the living room.  I've had many things in this spot over the years, 
but wanted to make a piece with some family significance.  
I decided to use a pattern technique that has worked well for me in the past...using stickers.  I've shared this technique in the past and it is one of my favorites...

sign making

You might remember this sign I made for the porch for Christmas...

sign making

Well, I flipped it over to make another sign.  The wood is quite distressed and perfect for a vintage look.  The sign above used 6" stickers for the pattern, but the new sign has many more letters, so I went with 4" high stickers.  You can find them in the art area of the craft store in many sizes.  They are made from a heavy vinyl, and I eyeball them on the wood along a straight edge.  I traced around the letters with a pencil, as I planned to hand paint the letters,but you could use a paint pen, as well.

sign making
   
After tracing around the letters, remove the stickers and place back on the paper...I have re-used mine many times.  Then you can fill in the letters however you wish.  I used black acrylic paint with an angled brush.  It doesn't have to be perfect, as it will be distressed, so I don't worry too much about it.  Here are the freshly painted letters...
you can see how imperfect my painting skills are...

sign making

Once the letters dried, I went over them with a sanding block, 
then took a lightly dampened cloth to remove the dust...

sign making

I also watered down some of the paint and brushed it over knots, and worn areas, quickly wiping it up with a rag...accentuating the wear...

sign making

What did I paint on the sign?  Well, my husband lived with his parents and grandparents on a family dairy farm in Iowa, and has fond memories of riding along in the truck to bring the milk to the creamery.  So I thought I would make a sign of his memories...

sign making

sign making

sign making

He loves it, and it goes nicely with the farmhouse style we have in our home!

I'd love to hear about signs with a special meaning to you... 

I am joining~


Until next time...

27 comments

  1. Now that's true recycling! Love your sign - both sides.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your newest farmhouse sign, Linda! It fits perfectly above your doorway and is sure to bring back fond memories for your hubby. I love the rustic quality of the sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new sign and I also think it is great that you just flipped it over. Now it won't take up space in storage. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new sign, Linda! I was actually thinking about your Make Merry sign because 1. I want one for the holidays next year for my house and 2. because I was thinking I would like to make a sign for over the sunroom door that says something like "wonderland" or something whimsical. I have to try this method with the stickers, too. Last sign I made I just used the graphite from a pencil and traced over it, then painted in the letters. I think your way will be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sign. It is so interesting to see all of the ways people make signs, this is one of the best and easiest...Thank you

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charming sign Linda and it looks like a easy way to make it.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sign turned out great, Linda! Using the stickers is such a good idea. Your home is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet memory sign for your husband, and it looks wonderful above your doorway!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great sign and great way to recycle there! It never occurred to me to flip a sign over and paint on the back. I just had one of those smack my forehead type of moments :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your sign! It looks super and is so special in having a deeper meaning for your husband. I would love to have a go making a sign. Sofar l have only painted directly on furniture. Thank for sharing! Pam xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it, especially because it has a special meaning. Great idea to use the stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My aunt lived in Decorah and I have fond memories of that area as well...they raised dairy cows and lived in the country with rolling hills and beautiful rocked clouds....Vera cline is her name

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Linda! That is such a great idea! Also love that you can reuse the sticker letters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I love this!!
    We have a sign in our downstairs living room from Jim's parents summer home...it was the rental sign for the little cottage on their property from the previous owners. It's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It really does look like an old sign! Great job! ~julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awww that's so sweet that hubby loves it so much. What a wonderful way to make a decorative piece even more special. It's so perfect for it's spot too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This IS TOO cool Linda! It looks so great there. How great you personalized it to your family, that makes it all the more cool!!! I love your beautiful home.
    I think the sign I have in our house that means the most to me is one that hangs in the room our daughters grew up in that says---'no more monkeys jumping on the bed'
    It always reminds me of those times I caught them doing just that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It just fits perfectly.... such a great tip tracing around the stickers.

    My favourite sign is a tin one Livi bought for us - it has Love written in all different languages, spaced out within a heart. It makes me smile :)

    Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love how you made use of both sides of the sign...just turn it over and your holiday décor is done! Thanks so much for the tutorial. My favorite sign is in my craft room; it says, "Color Outside the Lines". I enjoyed this post, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  20. That turned out really nicely, Linda. You would never guess it is a newly painted sign. It DOES go well with the rest of your decor - I had no doubt it would! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love both sides!! And how fun that you brought in that fun bit of your husband's "history" into you home. Perfect touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. It has such a great vintage feel--love it! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOOOOVE! And as always, I enjoy seeing your home!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great sign. I love the theme and the sentiment behind it too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Another Linda lovely!
    It's beautiful, but even
    better is the meaning that's
    attached to this beauty.
    It's great that your hubby
    has his life woven in among
    your beautiful things. I
    sometimes think decorating
    becomes mostly about the
    wife's taste/style/likes, so
    it's refreshing to see a hubby's
    history woven into the scheme!

    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the way your sign came out Linda... using the back is brilliant! I use those stickers and smaller ones for subway signs all the time... another thing is to cut letters out of cardboard and trace them... Love your work!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I love hearing from you and always enjoy reading your comments!